The Leeds Church Extension Society was founded by far-sighted members of the Church of England in 1864 to help build churches and to pay for clergy in the rapidly expanding City of Leeds. It became the Incorporated Leeds Church Extension society in 1905.
The objectives and activities of the Society have remained unchanged since its foundation: to help provide finance for mission halls and new parish churches and vicarages, to assist with the stipends of both clergy and lay workers, and to help maintain and re-order churches and church halls. In addition grants are made to church community and similar outreach activities within the city.
2014 was the 150th Anniversary Year of the founding of the Society. This was appropriately celebrated at Leeds Minster